Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Few Tips To Lower Your Cholesterol Naturally It Is Worth The Effort

Writen by Pekka Ahokas

Cholesterol again and again. It seems that we are constantly reminded of our cholesterol levels. We hear these common words from our doctor, "your cholesterol is too high, you need to go on a low fat diet." Yes, high cholesterol is nothing to play with. We all need to take it seriously and discuss the options with our doctor.

As a guideline our total cholesterol should be under 200 (US measurement) or the LDL/HDL ratio less than 3.6 or so. Different labs use different reference ranges. Our LDL should be under 130, or better yet, under 100. Our HDL should over 40 and triglycerides less than 150.

Below are 3 ways that have helped me to lower my cholesterol without taking any Statin Drugs to lower my cholesterol. I have been able to get it down under 200 and the ratios are within acceptable levels. I may even have genetically higher than average cholesterol levels.

Diet

Very Low Fat diet did not work for me. My cholesterol went up!. I changed my diet to include lean meats or fish and plenty of vegetables. I do not drink sodas, I hardly ever eat pasta. I cut out my routine of toast with jelly at night and limited my overall sugar intake. My triglycerides dropped from 140 to 60 in 2 months. Limit your alcohol intake since alcohol raises your triglycerides. I use Smart Balance instead of butter. For breakfast I eat oatmeal with skim milk, eggs or egg whites. I try to eat often and small meals. I find that I never really get extremely hungry by eating small meals often. I certainly do not feel as if I am on any kind of diet.

Supplements

I have used Niacin (B3 vitamin) over the counter and prescription brand Niaspan to lower my cholesterol instead of statins. Consult your doctor regarding Niaspan or Niacin products. These products will work. I have also used BetaSitosterol as a supplement to lower my cholesterol. BetaSitosterol has also been known to help men with BPH and ED related problems. Guggul is another herb that can lower your cholesterol.

Exercise

I swim 3-4 times a week 4 to 10 laps each time. I also do light weightlifting each time. I have found that my relatively easy routine is easy to maintain.

In order to maintain your weight and dietary habits, your plan has to be manageable. The above simple, easy to maintain plan has helped me to lower my cholesterol.

No comments: