Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chair Yoga Case Study Relief Of Asthma Symptoms

Writen by Mark Franklin

After teaching chair yoga for several years Liz Franklin can testify that it appropriate for almost anyone, even if they are feeling the effects of aging or have physical limitations. It is not for hard-bodied 20-somethings that can twist themselves into poses that look impossible – the only prerequisite is that you can sit in a chair, including a wheelchair.

What better way to illustrate how chair yoga has benefited those unable to attend a traditional yoga class than to tell it in their own words?

Hi! I'm Sandy Rabinoff. I'm a 71 year-old grandmother and collection agent. I have been practicing chair yoga for nearly three years. I had seen an article in the Kansas City paper one Sunday and it sparked my interest about the program.

I had taken "regular" yoga classes and enjoyed them but was having trouble keeping up with the class due to recent knee surgery. The instructor wasn't responsive to my needs and I was frustrated. When I read about chair yoga I thought, "This is made for me!" I called and got enrolled in the evening class. I was so excited about starting the class. From the moment I first talked with Liz I felt that this was my yoga. The way I felt after my first class was so heavenly that I was hooked. I have been attending class regularly ever since!

I have asthma and my lung capacity has dramatically improved. My doctor noticed the change and told me to keep doing yoga. The class has also made a dramatic difference in my flexibility, especially the knee I had replaced. I doubt I would have the range of motion and flexibility I do without my weekly class.

This past year has been filled with incredible stress in my personal life. Chair yoga has made all the difference in how I have handled that stress. I have learned coping strategies and taken them home with me and incorporated them into my daily life. I have learned how to use yoga to calm myself in times of stress and turmoil.

Quit thinking about taking a (chair yoga) class and come try this. You must experience this first hand. If you can't come to a class, buy (some) videos. You will thank yourself when you experience the difference in your mental state and find your own place of serenity. Flexibility is an added bonus that comes with time. Chair yoga is unique – there is nothing else like it!

Mark Franklin enjoys telling people about Liz Franklin's Yoga In Chairs(r) because he knows it is helping people live healthier, happier, and longer lives. If you want to find out about her special style of chair yoga, visit http://www.yogainchairs.com.

No comments: